Readers, do you love bananas? You really should. Bananas are a naturally sweet treat full of vitamins and goodies such as potassium. Also, they’re CHEAP AS CHEAP CAN BE! Perhaps you’re sick of eating bananas every day for breakfast (Be honest, did I just peg you? I’m pretty sure I did.). I can understand that. I was a morning banana person for a long time, too. Bananas are so much more than just a breakfast side dish, though. In fact, they’re a staple in my house and probably the most versatile food I use with frequency. Here are ten ideas that will turn this cheap fruit into the superstar of your household.
1. Mash overripe bananas and use them whenever a recipe called for applesauce, or eggs. Just mix it with the oil the same way you do applesauce. The banana adds a really neat flavor. Super yummy!
2. Slice one into your pancake batter. When the pancakes cook, you get this lovely creamy texture on the inside. It’s like having a cream filled pancake, but healthier!
3. Peanut Butter+Bananas=Joy
4. Freeze some cut up bananas. Then, do one of the next few ideas!
5. Take three bananas worth of frozen bananas and throw them into a food processor. Let that bad boy go and you end up with soft serve. Add a tablespoon of cocoa if you want chocolate ice cream. 🙂
6. Bananas taste good in smoothies with the following fruit: Mangoes, Peaches, Blueberries, Strawberries, Blackberries, and Cherries. Throw in a handful of spinach and some almond milk and you have yourself a pretty darn awesome beverage.
7. The best post workout treat EVER–1/2 frozen banana, 1/2 cup frozen cherries, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 cup water, 1 handful of spinach, and 1 tbs cocoa powder. It tastes like a chocolate milk shake, and yes, you will drink the whole thing. 🙂
8. Dip the frozen banana chunks in melted chocolate. Eat. Share only if you have to.
9. Add a banana to any food you’re trying to sweeten. My personal favorite? Mashing a super ripe one into mashed sweet potatoes. Super yummy!
10. 1 sliced banana + fresh berried + fresh sliced fruit + vegan whipped cream = most appetizing dessert for four year olds ever. Seriously. She loves that stuff. In fact, the cream is optional, since she doesn’t seem to miss it when I don’t have it.
Those are some of our favorite banana tricks in the crunchy house. I’d bet you guys have some awesome banana concoctions too, though. After all, you are my readers, and you’re all pretty resourceful people. How do you guys eat bananas?